drsyn71

Stargate themed picture frames

1st attempt. Dollar tree frame+replicator blocks+hot glue gun. It's hard to get them straight. I TRIED to start straight, then they veer off a bit and by then the glue has dried.

• Like 1

I think another cool idea with a frame would be a frame that had gate symbols on it. The symbols on straight metal-looking pieces that had the color and look of the gate. Or even better, have a round Stargate frame. You could have the blue shimmer inside the frame with a rectangular cut-out to but your 8x10 in.

It's a good way to jazz up an ordinary frame.

I made a 4x6 frame some 15 years ago using a cheap acrylic self standing frame. The frame is broken, but I the blocks held up nicely.

2019-04-29 20.49.05.jpg

• Like 1

I had HUGE bag of the really nice ones... I just handed them out at SDCC couple years back, I think I have few left, but GREAT IDEA!!!

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 10:43 PM, StitchsLoft said:

I had HUGE bag of the really nice ones... I just handed them out at SDCC couple years back, I think I have few left, but GREAT IDEA!!!

You should try to source more and glue them on some inexpensive frames to offer at your shop. To make it easier, you should try to cast all of the loose pieces together, that would make it much quicker and easier to crank out a bunch of frames for sale. So instead of having to glue a bunch of loose pieces to a frame you would be able to glue just one solid piece to the frames.

Along a similar line, you should try to source some decent sized gate replicas for use as picture frames. I imagine those would probably sell fairly well.

I re-did the frame. Ehh. It's OK. But I'm NOT re-doing it again, though. Too muck work! 😀

Frame.jpg

Edited by drsyn71
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 8:06 PM, drsyn71 said:

Yeah, he also hooked me up with a bulk of replicator blocks.

IMG_1658.JPG

A couple?! SEE!!!!! They already replicated

• Haha 2

You know, if/when I get a 3D printer, I think that one of the first things that I'll model and print would be Replicator blocks. It's a fairly simple shape which would be right up my alley and skill level. Heck, I might even have a go at printing a whole frame, that would be a simple matter of copy-pasting blocks then it would be a simple matter of figuring out just how big of a section I could print at a time.

31 minutes ago, Riceball said:

You know, if/when I get a 3D printer, I think that one of the first things that I'll model and print would be Replicator blocks. It's a fairly simple shape which would be right up my alley and skill level. Heck, I might even have a go at printing a whole frame, that would be a simple matter of copy-pasting blocks then it would be a simple matter of figuring out just how big of a section I could print at a time.

Yeah, printing a whole section/side/frame at a time would be great. And straight! Do all the work, tweaking and spacing of the blocks in the computer. Then click PRINT, leave the printer to do its thing and go watch some Stargate!

• Like 1

YES! A whole replicator bug with legs would be cool. It would be elaborate to 3D print it or to glue the individual blocks either way. Seems like I HAVE seen some out there that people have done.

• Like 1

Looks like Thomas Crix Turner did a nice one. He wrote: "I printed around 150 (i think, lost count) replicator pieces that i found on thingiverse, then gulped them together.. a month later i was done".

replicatorbug.jpg

• Like 1

With a bit of 3D work on the computer, you could probably break down a Replicator bug for 3D printing in sections. Each leg could be printed in 2 or 3 pieces and same with the body. It would be a whole lot easier than trying to glue together 100+ individual pieces. I guess that would be another project for when/if I get a 3D printer.