20 hours ago, SG Merc said:

That G.D.O. is just the bomb.

Great photos GateGabber. Thank you for sharing these with the world.

WHAT???? The GDO is a bomb? What episode is that from? HAHA!!!!! Did Rodney blow up another solar system?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Voiers said:

WHAT???? The GDO is a bomb? What episode is that from? HAHA!!!!! Did Rodney blow up another solar system?

To disable the GDO bomb cut the red wire. Just which red wire? There's TWO!

guts.jpg

• Haha 4

You have to guess, just like on TV. But make sure you change your mind at the last possible moment and that the timer reads one second left before you cut the wire.

12 hours ago, SG Merc said:

To disable the GDO bomb cut the red wire. Just which red wire? There's TWO!

guts.jpg

At this point Rodney would be FREAKING...And going to find a SAMMICH right about now.

I've split this off into its own topic since it was taking the original thread way off topic. In the future, please try to keep things on topic, if you find yourself inspired to talk about something off topic from an existing thread please start a new topic. Thanks.

Thanks for the dedicated topic for GDO chat.

Let's talk GDOs. The GDO is not just the bomb like I said before, it's also a puzzle!

Trivia: The first GDOs made for the show were milled from aluminum, had working lights, and would be used closeups. One of these was then molded to make the rubber GDOs for regular scenes. (That same mold was then used for what you see in these pictures.)

2016-02-02 17.57.58.jpg

shields2.jpg

2015-08-13 01.37.18_b.jpg

2017-12-11 14.36.43 b.jpg

2015-08-08 10.27.39_b.jpg

• Like 2

I had a nice talk with somebody at Wondercon this year when he saw a GDO being worn by one of our members in SG-10. He had made it so that it would light up at a push of a button and he put a USB charger inside as well. What the guy we talked to suggested was that you could actually make one that's "functional" by putting a small arduino chip/board in it and you could program it so that pressing the keys actually do something or you could punch in a series of numbers to have it do something. He was pretty certain that the GDO is just the right size to house an arduino or possibly a Raspberry Pi board inside.

I think that a "functional" GDO would make for a pretty neat prop to go along with your SG costume. I wonder if there's room enough to also house a Bluetooth chip to connect it to an app on your phone? I don't know what exactly I'd want the app to do, maybe play the SG-1 theme song, or the sound of the gate activating, but I think that it would add to the novelty of the GDO if it could do those kinds of things.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Riceball said:

I had a nice talk with somebody at Wondercon this year when he saw a GDO being worn by one of our members in SG-10. He had made it so that it would light up at a push of a button and he put a USB charger inside as well. What the guy we talked to suggested was that you could actually make one that's "functional" by putting a small arduino chip/board in it and you could program it so that pressing the keys actually do something or you could punch in a series of numbers to have it do something. He was pretty certain that the GDO is just the right size to house an arduino or possibly a Raspberry Pi board inside.

I think that a "functional" GDO would make for a pretty neat prop to go along with your SG costume. I wonder if there's room enough to also house a Bluetooth chip to connect it to an app on your phone? I don't know what exactly I'd want the app to do, maybe play the SG-1 theme song, or the sound of the gate activating, but I think that it would add to the novelty of the GDO if it could do those kinds of things.

An Arduino Mini does fit. One idea I had was to replace the static display with an LCD so that the iris code can be keyed in.

Here are the lights and USB in action.

• Like 3

The discussion I had did talk about being able to input the iris code. I was just thinking that it would be cool to be able to take it one step further and tie it to an app on your phone where it would trigger some sound effects as well.

It's really sort of a pity that they eventually stopped using them on both SG-1 and Atlantis. They were a really neat prop and made a lot of sense in universe. I wonder why they stopped using them, was it because the writers just plain forgot or the producers didn't want to use them any more.

Especially a shame for a sci-fi show that really didn't have too many standard gadgets for the offworld teams.

It's strange considering they always showed an IDC being received at Stargate Command, so the teams obviously still carried them.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2019 at 1:33 AM, StitchsLoft said:

Rem,

You forgot the most important video! LOL

Hey I know the guy in that video!

You'll have to do videos for all those new props I was showing you that are in the pipeline ...