Sign in to follow this  
Eric Voiers

Atlantis Leather Jacket

I always kinda liked the leather jackets worn in later seasons which for me is weird because I never really cared for black leather but I always had it in the back of my mind to make one.

I came across this leather jacket for $10.00 and thought it workable. I had trepidation regarding the collar at it was the regular type but I was pleased with it after I cut and tweaked with the same leather. I am looking at making the McKay "Pen Pocket" on the left arm.

IMG_3332.JPG

IMG_3333.JPG

IMG_3334.JPG

• Like 3

Nice jacket! 
I had a jacket like that some times ago, also had it for litteraly two bucks on eBay. Not an exact replica of an Atlantean jacket, but what it cool with them, it's that as every character has its own jacket, yo can have any design you want 😛

Here's an old picture of my former jacket 😉

P2250266.JPG

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Eric Voiers said:

Yeah, if you look at McKay's, Sheppard's, Carter's, Keller's, leather jackets they are all different designs.

McKay even has two different designs ! Well, in fact, second's is Sheppard's in S5 episode "The Shrine", so Sheppard has two different designs.

• Like 1

That's so weird that they all had different versions of the leather jacket. It's like both McKay and Sheppard found some leather jackets lying around somewhere then went and got permission to wear them in lieu of their regular jackets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, that's so right. My own theory was that they used casual leather jackets to try to better blend in while exploring. Well, the tacvest would have spoiled this, but why not.

• Like 1

In general, it was crazy how many uniform changes that the Atlatnis crew went throughout their time. SG-1 changed a few times but they were (for the most part) always just a variation on the standard offworld uniform, they just changed color or camouflage pattern, plus they were on Earth and had access to all of the resources of the DoD at their disposal. Atlantis, on the other, they were cut off for a few years yet they never seemed to have any problems in getting not just new uniforms to replace their existing ones but uniforms of an entirely new design. My pet theory on that was that they made a deal with the Athosians, tech along with protection against the Wraith for uniforms. The Athosians agreed to it enthusiastically and not only produced replacement uniforms based on the originals but started to come up with brand new designs in order to add extra value to their deal, perhaps as a way to add to their deal since they could point out how they came up with new designs for them. Maybe the leather jackets were "gifts" since they knew that McKay & Sheppard were senior members of the Atlantis command staff and would be more apt to sympathetic to their side when/if it came time to renew/renegotiate their deal.

But what never really made sense to me was where they got all of their ammo from during that time they were cut off from Earth. Did they pack tons and tons of ammo with them when they first went to Atlantis or did they bring along reloading equipment with tons and tons of reloading supplies? Or, maybe the Althosians learned how to spin brass, make bullets, primer, and gunpowder and in addition to providing Atlantis with new uniforms all the time, they also made ammo for them. 🤣

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 11:21 PM, Riceball said:

In general, it was crazy how many uniform changes that the Atlatnis crew went throughout their time. SG-1 changed a few times but they were (for the most part) always just a variation on the standard offworld uniform, they just changed color or camouflage pattern, plus they were on Earth and had access to all of the resources of the DoD at their disposal. Atlantis, on the other, they were cut off for a few years yet they never seemed to have any problems in getting not just new uniforms to replace their existing ones but uniforms of an entirely new design. My pet theory on that was that they made a deal with the Athosians, tech along with protection against the Wraith for uniforms. The Athosians agreed to it enthusiastically and not only produced replacement uniforms based on the originals but started to come up with brand new designs in order to add extra value to their deal, perhaps as a way to add to their deal since they could point out how they came up with new designs for them. Maybe the leather jackets were "gifts" since they knew that McKay & Sheppard were senior members of the Atlantis command staff and would be more apt to sympathetic to their side when/if it came time to renew/renegotiate their deal.

But what never really made sense to me was where they got all of their ammo from during that time they were cut off from Earth. Did they pack tons and tons of ammo with them when they first went to Atlantis or did they bring along reloading equipment with tons and tons of reloading supplies? Or, maybe the Althosians learned how to spin brass, make bullets, primer, and gunpowder and in addition to providing Atlantis with new uniforms all the time, they also made ammo for them. 🤣

Protection for work, looks like the Godfather XD But yeah, makes sense. Or at least, they could have helped with contact for furnitures via commercial partners. Teyla often repeated that they knew lots of "commercial partners" throughout the series.

At least in Universe, they didn't do that error and kept the same clothes all along, even finding a way to explain they would never run off of power with finding some inducction power station to charge radios.

• Like 1

Perhaps it was because the Atlantis Expedition was a multi-country endeavor and not a military entity although there were military assets for obvious reasons. I think the leather jackets were introduced to create an aire of comfort and familiarity with key characters. We know who they are and what they do so no more need for branch colors. 

I guess the nice thing about all of the different leather jacket designs is that means all you need is a black leather jacket in a similar style with the patches and you're good. No worrying about matching the make and model to be canon, that's unless you're trying to go for a specific character's costume.

I can do these but they would be prob in $400-500 range!

I made my own out Wilson''s one and then sold one off I had bought with it at the same time years later!

I cropped the collar and added patches it was only missing the chest pocked for the LSD...

JoeRyanNov06.jpg

• Like 1