Sign in to follow this  
Riceball

Perfect add on for ribbon device

I was looking through my daily Esty newsletter e-mail and in it I saw the perfect to add to a Goa'uld ribbon device, it's an LED light kit that fits in the palm of your hand. There is a cable that runs from the LED to a wristband where you put the battery but I figure that a lot of that could be hidden inside the ribbon device itself or the sleeves of your costume if necessary.

Check it out: https://www.etsy.com/listing/214207110/hand-energy-blast-mini-led-light-kit

Cool find! It does look like it would be well-suited for a ribbon device. The description says it is powered by a 9V battery, which I think might be a bit too large to hide inside the palm jewel itself. But some other battery arrangement might be able to work instead. Perhaps 3 pill batteries in series? Those are typically around 3V each under load. I'd have to see the energy requirements for the LEDs (how much current do they need?) and what else was part of the circuit.

Someday I want to make a new version of my ribbon device - my old one was more the "put together quickly in 2-3 days, in the era long before 3D printing" type. I'll keep this in mind when I get around to making something new.

• Like 2

You would want to replace the 9V battery with 3x 3V button cells run together in series. Would still result in 9V but would be much easier to hide in the prop.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SG Merc said:

You would want to replace the 9V battery with 3x 3V button cells run together in series. Would still result in 9V but would be much easier to hide in the prop.

That's a good idea. How hard is it to convert something that runs off of a 9V to run off of button batteries? Are there simple conversion kits out there where you snip off the 9V attachment and wire in something for button batteries or even simply plugging in an adapter?

On 8/11/2019 at 10:13 PM, Riceball said:

That's a good idea. How hard is it to convert something that runs off of a 9V to run off of button batteries? Are there simple conversion kits out there where you snip off the 9V attachment and wire in something for button batteries or even simply plugging in an adapter?

That's pretty much it, yes. The battery box that holds the 9v would have two wires going into it from the light. Cut those wires, discard the 9v battery box, and attach the two wires from the coin cell battery box. Here's an example of a 6v coin cell holder. To make a 9v it might be necessary to modify one.

61zAKpPENSL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1