Rob

SG 1 Cosplay weapons

Hi all and thanks for having me

I'm looking to put together the black off world cosplay complete with either P90 or MP5A3 and M9 but I have no idea where to start to get these so that they are realistic but also acceptable at conns. I'm going to Comic Con in July meeting Amanda Tapping & Ben Browder and would be great to have realistic cosplay for then.

Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Are you talking about Gateway in Chicago June 26-28? If so you won't be able to carry replica firearms very much, as the hotel does not allow them to be in the common areas. If it's a different convention then your first step will be to check their website or contact them to find out their policy on replica firearms. Some organizers are allowing them under certain conditions, and others are banning them.

In general your options are 1) airsoft/replica guns or 2) building from scratch. Most people just buy airsoft replicas as there are plenty of very realistic ones available (in fact these were even used for filming throughout parts of the SG shows). With that said, some people in countries with tight restrictions on replicas have had good results cutting out eva foam and making their own.

If you're looking for a good "best of both worlds" approach then I can hook you up with a foam P90 molded and cast off the real thing. They will be for sale on Stitchsloft.com when they are ready. Also check out the weapon archives on SG1Props.com for more options.

• Like 1

As an FYI, if you go the airsoft route P90s are hard to come by these days, the proper red dot style used on the show even more so. MP5s are still around but they're not as common as they used to be, but I don't know if the flashlight handguards are still available though. 

A con friendly option that Dan came up with years ago was to print a picture of a P90 onto a piece of foam core and cut it out, attached a sling to it and wore it around. Another (potential) option is simply going with a zat, it gets around the realistic weapon restriction that some cons have in place and is very iconic.

• Like 1

Yep. I carry a Zat and it is easier plus is a cool addition to your Stargate uniform as many other cosplayers from other genres have M9's but ONLY Stargate has the Zat. Plus after being in the Army for 23 years I don't fancy carrying around much equipment, especially on a crowded con floor when I am looking for goodies. 

• Like 1

Evike (evike.com) sells a wide range of airsoft guns & equipment, including P90s as well as the magazine strips. For the most part, it looks very close to what they used in the shows. I've gotten stuff from them before, and other than being a little slow on delivery I was happy with the purchases. Here's a link directly to the P90 product page:

https://www.evike.com/products/39653/