Sign in to follow this  
Dr Rodnay

Gwén's MCRN costumes

Hey there everyone!

Long time not posting here, but couldn't help but seeing a blanck The Expanse subforum, so I had to post something on it 😉

Here are some pictures of my Martian costumes: two dress uniforms, as seen in seasons 2 and 4. One from the MCRN, inspired by Martens', and the other of the MMC, inspired by Draper's.

I also modded the Emsa City Cup to have my Martian mug.

I got lucky enough to find the excact model of the sunglasses, so I made the decals and designed a box for them too 😎 

And I made a real MCR flag too 🙂

Enjoy! 😉

DSC_5325.JPG

DSC_0619.JPG

DSC_0674.JPG

DSC_0684 (2).JPG

DSC_0694.JPG

DSC_0358_00000.jpg

DSC_0695_00000.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice. Well done!

You know, those sunglasses are pretty basic looking, I bet that if you can get your hands on the hinges you could probably make them yourself. You'd probably have to vacform the lens since I don't think you can cast resin/plastic to be clear enough to not have any distortions. Or, you could just simply heat form the lens from a piece of rectangular piece of transparent plastic. If you could do that, I bet that you could convince Dan and/or Ryan to carry a bunch in their shops and being fairly light, you could probably ship quite a few of them for not too much.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Riceball said:

Very nice. Well done!

You know, those sunglasses are pretty basic looking, I bet that if you can get your hands on the hinges you could probably make them yourself. You'd probably have to vacform the lens since I don't think you can cast resin/plastic to be clear enough to not have any distortions. Or, you could just simply heat form the lens from a piece of rectangular piece of transparent plastic. If you could do that, I bet that you could convince Dan and/or Ryan to carry a bunch in their shops and being fairly light, you could probably ship quite a few of them for not too much.

Thanks!

Well, actually, I don't havee any of the skill of tools to do that, so I just spent long hours looking for the good model 😛 Turned out well. Especially for the price, less than 10 bucks, I don't think it's worth trying to replicate when we can just buy it cheap over at Amazon ^^

But yes, even cheaper could be just a piece of smoked plastic sheet like ones used to make visors on helmets maybe.

Edited by Dr Rodnay
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dr Rodnay said:

Thanks!

Well, actually, I don't have any of the skill of tools to do that, so I just spent long hours looking for the good model 😛 Turned out well. Especially for the price, less than 10 bucks, I don't think it's worth trying to replicate when we can just buy it cheap over at Amazon ^^

But yes, even cheaper could be just a piece of smoked plastic sheet like ones used to make visors on helmets maybe.

I think you're selling yourself short, I don't think that it would be that tricky to make these. I think that all you'd need would be a heat gun, a form to bend the plastic over, and a Dremel to cut out the nose. But, I'll admit, I don't know if heating and hand bending the plastic would cause any distortions in the plastic or not.

I bet that there's a market for screen accurate Martian sunglasses. You know how some people are with their props and costumes, close enough it not good enough. There are lots of costumers and prop collectors for whom unless it's no good unless it's accurate down to the fraction of a millimeter, with exact number of stitches with the right length and spacing, and if it's something hard like armor then it has to has to have every nick, scratch, and ding the screen used piece has for them to accept it.😁

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Riceball said:

I bet that there's a market for screen accurate Martian sunglasses. You know how some people are with their props and costumes, close enough it not good enough. There are lots of costumers and prop collectors for whom unless it's no good unless it's accurate down to the fraction of a millimeter, with exact number of stitches with the right length and spacing, and if it's something hard like armor then it has to has to have every nick, scratch, and ding the screen used piece has for them to accept it.😁

Well, I'm not down to the scratch thing because I hate tarnish my work, but I know the thing about "down to the last stitch" XD

10 hours ago, Riceball said:

I think you're selling yourself short, I don't think that it would be that tricky to make these. I think that all you'd need would be a heat gun, a form to bend the plastic over, and a Dremel to cut out the nose. But, I'll admit, I don't know if heating and hand bending the plastic would cause any distortions in the plastic or not.

I think that heat might provoke some additional smocking, or whiten/opacify them, but I confess I never tried either 😕

• Like 1