Back in the early 2000s, when I first started cosplaying as an SG team member, I bought myself a Blackhawk Omega tac-vest (the one with the integrated pistol holster).

Not having worn it for a few years, I tried it on a couple of day ago, with a view to adapting it for use with my current S.H.I.E.L.D. agent cosplay.

My problem is this, in the years since I last wore it, I've put on a fair amount of weight and the vest only just still fits.

While I'm doing my damnedest to lose some weight, I'd like some advice on how to alter the vest in the meantime so it's comfortable to wear again.

I'm guessing that you've already loosened the strings on the side to their limit? You could also try extending the shoulder velcro to their limits, but I imagine that you've already done that. If all else fails talk to Ryan "Stich" Nixon, he specializes in vest mods and he might be able to do something, I know that he's made vests smaller, I'm sure that he can do something to make it larger.

• Like 1

I was thinking about doing the following.

Undo one of the side strings and remove it from the vest.

Measure it a couple of times.  Adding a few inches.

Double that.

Buy the required amount of black paracord from an appropriate source.

Cut it in half.

Re-lace side strings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Creeping Spleen said:

I was thinking about doing the following.

Undo one of the side strings and remove it from the vest.

Measure it a couple of times.  Adding a few inches.

Double that.

Buy the required amount of black paracord from an appropriate source.

Cut it in half.

Re-lace side strings.

You can do that, but the side areas might look kinda bare.  Ryan "Stitch" Nixon has made side panels  to expand vests before.  He would be great person to contact on this if that is the way you decide to go. 

• Like 3

On 4/24/2019 at 4:24 PM, Riceball said:

I'm guessing that you've already loosened the strings on the side to their limit? You could also try extending the shoulder velcro to their limits, but I imagine that you've already done that. If all else fails talk to Ryan "Stich" Nixon, he specializes in vest mods and he might be able to do something, I know that he's made vests smaller, I'm sure that he can do something to make it larger.

On 4/24/2019 at 6:40 PM, Honcho said:

You can do that, but the side areas might look kinda bare.  Ryan "Stitch" Nixon has made side panels  to expand vests before.  He would be great person to contact on this if that is the way you decide to go. 

If you willing post pics or send them to me over FB privately I can see what you need, I have to wear a BH HUSKY because I have 52" chest so those are option for SGA, and I have few I can convert as well from Crossdraws, the problem is I have NEVER in 14 years seen MEDIC "8" in a HUSKY be my Holy Grail vest, but I have made them bigger.

I can do a conversion and add HUSKY back panel it just have skip a grommet on the back since they have 7 instead of 6. I also can just add in material at the shoulders that normally does the trick what I had to do for mine and you most often can not even notice it unless your looking... So yes vest mod is an option if you want me to do it, I need to see some pics to see what would be the best course of action for you! I can make vest fit 5'1 98lb Asian girl or guy that is 6'5 280lbs so far even did SG-1 medic for 11yr old boy once 3 weeks before xmas! LOL

• Like 3

A few years ago, I decided to alter my spare Medic Vest and use it for parts to make a new better fitting vest.  Who knew that a couple years spent in a cruiser patrolling the county and getting fast food wouldn't help my clothing size?

I tracked down some black mesh fabric called 1.5mm Polyester Hex-Mesh from a company called Ahh Specialized Textile Outfitters.  I ordered a sample and it matched. 

FL6ABZV.jpg

I'd planned on just removing everything from my small vest (Trim, pouches, webbing, etc), and move it to the new vest.  A project that I really need to get to... 

It seemed like a better option then sewing a spacer, that would go between the two sections with eyelets on both sides, to attach both front and back too.  Which I did for my SGA vest.

• Like 2

So, instead of modifying your existing vest you're going to just make a brand new one from scratch? Wow, that's pretty ambitious.

Just now, Riceball said:

So, instead of modifying your existing vest you're going to just make a brand new one from scratch? Wow, that's pretty ambitious.

That was more or less the plan.  I haven't gotten around to staring due to life getting in the way.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, StitchsLoft said:

If you willing post pics or send them to me over FB privately I can see what you need, I have to wear a BH HUSKY because I have 52" chest so those are option for SGA, and I have few I can convert as well from Crossdraws, the problem is I have NEVER in 14 years seen MEDIC "8" in a HUSKY be my Holy Grail vest, but I have made them bigger.

I can do a conversion and add HUSKY back panel it just have skip a grommet on the back since they have 7 instead of 6. I also can just add in material at the shoulders that normally does the trick what I had to do for mine and you most often can not even notice it unless your looking... So yes vest mod is an option if you want me to do it, I need to see some pics to see what would be the best course of action for you! I can make vest fit 5'1 98lb Asian girl or guy that is 6'5 280lbs so far even did SG-1 medic for 11yr old boy once 3 weeks before xmas! LOL

I'll take a few pics and get back to you. 😃

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 5:11 PM, Walkingstranger said:

A few years ago, I decided to alter my spare Medic Vest and use it for parts to make a new better fitting vest.  Who knew that a couple years spent in a cruiser patrolling the county and getting fast food wouldn't help my clothing size?

I tracked down some black mesh fabric called 1.5mm Polyester Hex-Mesh from a company called Ahh Specialized Textile Outfitters.  I ordered a sample and it matched. 

I'd planned on just removing everything from my small vest (Trim, pouches, webbing, etc), and move it to the new vest.  A project that I really need to get to... 

It seemed like a better option then sewing a spacer, that would go between the two sections with eyelets on both sides, to attach both front and back too.  Which I did for my SGA vest.

All you had to do was get Husky...

Edited by StitchsLoft

Standard Crossdraw...

I have HUSKY one if you need me swap it?

If you want any mods done then I need to charge you some labor...

What I was saying is pics of you IN it so I can see what mods you would need though you had MEDIC VEST! LOL

13 hours ago, The Creeping Spleen said:

Ok, here's some pics of my vest.

20190429_131201.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 3:18 AM, The Creeping Spleen said:

A straight swap is fine with me. ☺️

PM me your details, and I'll get right on it.

Do you want the basic shoulder mods and radio pocket mod?

I still need to see whats going on with your old one!

I can still zip it up, just and no more.   So the replacement just needs to be a little bit bigger.

As for the radio pouch, as long as my phone fits it'll be ok.  I've a 2017 model Samsung Galaxy A3, with the dimensions 136 x 67 x 8mm.

Next question - can you adapt the back of the vest so I could mount a "S.H.I.E.L.D. AGENT" tactical ID patch without having to resort to MOLLE clips?

54 minutes ago, The Creeping Spleen said:

I can still zip it up, just and no more.   So the replacement just needs to be a little bit bigger.

As for the radio pouch, as long as my phone fits it'll be ok.  I've a 2017 model Samsung Galaxy A3, with the dimensions 136 x 67 x 8mm.

Next question - can you adapt the back of the vest so I could mount a "S.H.I.E.L.D. AGENT" tactical ID patch without having to resort to MOLLE clips?

Sounds to me like you'll need a replacement compass pouch, there's no way a modern smart phone is going to fit in that pouch.

As for you last, I don't think that Stitch will need to do much modification to accommodate your patch, all he'll likely need to do is just add some velcro to the back and Bob's your uncle.

Fair enough.

Overall, I'd say the vest is in very good condition.  Other than test fittings when I first bought it (back in 2001 or so), I wore it at two Stargate cons, maybe a dozen or so meetings of my local Star Trek/sci-fi/fantasy group, and two or three "evening with" events. 

The last time I wore it was in 2009, adapted for use with a modern era UNIT trooper cosplay when the travelling Doctor Who Exhibition was in Glasgow.  Myself and a few of the guys were asked to entertain the crowds etc.

At various times we had a Fourth Doctor, an Auton, a Clockwork Android, a Slitheen, a Judoon Trooper, and one or  two others.

Since then, it's been hanging up in a corner of my wardrobe.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 4:26 PM, Riceball said:

Sounds to me like you'll need a replacement compass pouch, there's no way a modern smart phone is going to fit in that pouch.

As for you last, I don't think that Stitch will need to do much modification to accommodate your patch, all he'll likely need to do is just add some velcro to the back and Bob's your uncle.

I never seen any modern phone that fit in RADIO / COMPASS pouch there is no way your getting that in there! I make them fit the VISAR...

Best bet is putting phone in chest pocket... The Radio went in there for SGA anyway!

Since I have no idea what your "S.H.I.E.L.D. AGENT" tactical ID patch looks like you need to send it with the vest, but again your adding things to the vest that would not be there but thats up to you!  SHIELD vest were all mollee anyway so not sure what your saying... Sounds like you need HUSKY if its that snug but how tall are you?

• Like 1

Ok, forget about the S.H.I.E.L.D. agent patch.  I'll work something out for that myself.

Height - around 5 feet 5 inches in my bare feet

The crucial thing is I've a bit of a belly, and am a 52 inch waist.

6 minutes ago, The Creeping Spleen said:

Ok, forget about the S.H.I.E.L.D. agent patch.  I'll work something out for that myself.

The patch shouldn't be much of a problem, all Stitch would need to do is add a strip or 2 of velcro to the MOLLE straps and Bob's your uncle. Then all you'd need to do is make sure you patch has the opposite side of velcro on it and then you can velvcro it to your vest. You shouldn't need to send the patch itself, just give him its measurements and which set of MOLLE straps you want it to sit on, the top, middle, or bottom.

1 hour ago, Riceball said:

The patch shouldn't be much of a problem, all Stitch would need to do is add a strip or 2 of velcro to the MOLLE straps and Bob's your uncle. Then all you'd need to do is make sure you patch has the opposite side of Velcro on it and then you can Velcro it to your vest. You shouldn't need to send the patch itself, just give him its measurements and which set of MOLLE straps you want it to sit on, the top, middle, or bottom.

If he is sending the vest only makes sense to send the patch to have it done right...

The older BH vest do not have MOLLE was my point... So I have no idea what your talking about here!?

8.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Creeping Spleen said:

Height - around 5 feet 5 inches in my bare feet

The crucial thing is I've a bit of a belly, and am a 52 inch waist.

My worry is due to your height a Husky may fit your girth, but you will have way too much in shoulders you really need a custom vest made for you...

9 minutes ago, StitchsLoft said:

If he is sending the vest only makes sense to send the patch to have it done right...

The older BH vest do not have MOLLE was my point... So I have no idea what your talking about here!?

8.jpg

My mistake, I meant ALICE straps, or whatever they are in the back. Slap some velcro on one or two of them and you have a spot to put a patch on the back.