CityFox

SG23 Branch of Service

Hi all,

I was thinking, if SG23 was a British team what branch of service and what unit would it likely be or would people favour?? 

I.e air force, army, navy etc. 

Just looking if there was one we all preffered to aim at using the same unit. 

Its like camoflauge pattern, pre 2010/11 it would be DPM but after then MTP. Just seeing what you all think?? 

• Like 1

I would suggest that an SG team would be a kind of Special Forces arrangement...and would be a mix of the best from the 3 services.

• Like 3

Yeah think agree multi service,wonder where it would be based? Imagine could use existing covert sites,no gate to worry about but possibly Gliders etc would land.

• Like 2

I would go for, multi service, multi discipline. That way the team would be off world more often.

I would go for the SG-1 look. 

As to location.........That is a secret!

• Like 2

Think the consensus is a multi service team. Yeah I understand the logic of an SG1 look Steve, easy for us all to do. Just thought like the Russian team we would all look different, only my opinion though. Location would have to be remote. All the existing SF sites are the south where heavy air traffic and population. Maybe Scotland, Wales or an island off the coast?? Be nice to have a spiritual home for the UK SG operations 

• Like 1

LOVE to chat about multi services.. think we can call that official.. then people can be/cosplay what they want..look like wat they want to look like.. with the SG23 patch 🙂 .. id go MTP. with different vests...but i do my SG greens and black too.. head over too SG23 UK Uniform/cosplay ideas part of sg23 for pics.. saves me uploading again lol.  I WANT TO SEE YOU GUYS IN YOUR SG KIT!!!

• Like 1

Back in my SG-999 days, the team's kit was basically variations on a theme of olive green.

But it was always a matter of each member's personal preference.

I went with an OG army shirt with long sleeves and epaulettes with a plain black t-shirt underneath, a pair of OG BDU trousers, and a pair of Magnum combat boots.

A couple of the other guys had short sleeve shirts.  One guy had a pretty decent replica of the modded Wep 8 jackets that were used on the series.

We got a dozen or so Earth symbol patches from eBay (I think), and our bossfella Nick got some custom SG-999 unit patches made.

• Like 2

Since there aren't exactly a lot of gates on Earth, wouldn't SG-23 (in the actual SG verse) operate out of the SGC since that's where the only working gate on Earth is? That said, it wouldn't be too far fetched for them to have somewhere in the UK where they would (un)officially call home. To simplify logistics and to avoid drawing undue attention to themselves, I think that the most logical place would be an air base where large aircraft are based out of, one that sees regular air traffic to far away locales. Ideally, it would be one where it's not unusual to see personnel from different branches, what we in the US would call a joint forces base. Alternately, they would be headquartered near a major airport with regular service to the US and team members would fly out commercially in civilian clothes. But that would be less than ideal if SG-23 was covert as somebody might get curious as to why all of these muscular, military looking gentlemen are constantly flying out to the US and back, unless they're given false passports to travel on every time.

• Like 2

So do we have our "unofficial/ official" home HMS Gannet?? Just wondering what people preferred if in camo? I presume the majority would be MTP/ existing SG loadouts or are we looking something different? There a good few variations of MTP that the British forces dont use such as woodland/ desert and they're made here too. Just the MOD cheaped out and bought one for all environments 

On 6/18/2019 at 11:20 AM, CityFox said:

So do we have our "unofficial/ official" home HMS Gannet?? Just wondering what people preferred if in camo? I presume the majority would be MTP/ existing SG loadouts or are we looking something different? There a good few variations of MTP that the British forces dont use such as woodland/ desert and they're made here too. Just the MOD cheaped out and bought one for all environments 

Personally, I'd go with British kit and MTP, no reason why they wouldn't cross the pond with their own kit. The main selling point, in terms of recognizability at least, are the patches. So long as you have the SG patches on your uniform you will be recognized as being Stargate costumers and wearing British kit would make things more interesting for your fellow Brits, esp. if you come up with a consensus of what exact kit to use, then you'll really look a group of Brits sent over to the US to represent Queen and country in the SGC.Insert other media

38 minutes ago, Riceball said:

Personally, I'd go with British kit and MTP, no reason why they wouldn't cross the pond with their own kit. The main selling point, in terms of recognizability at least, are the patches. So long as you have the SG patches on your uniform you will be recognized as being Stargate costumers and wearing British kit would make things more interesting for your fellow Brits, esp. if you come up with a consensus of what exact kit to use, then you'll really look a group of Brits sent over to the US to represent Queen and country in the SGC.Insert other media

I personally would rather dress as per the original TV Stargate SG-1 team, in BDU uniform but with SG-23 patch. I do not wish to wear MPT or other British kit.

Edited by Eightball

Wasn't a squad of Royal Marines assigned to Atlantis in "Halcyon" by James Swallow?

I remember them referring to the Goa'uld as "growlers" (because of the deep voices) and Wraith as "Bozos" (because they look like clowns).

10 hours ago, The Creeping Spleen said:

Wasn't a squad of Royal Marines assigned to Atlantis in "Halcyon" by James Swallow?

I remember them referring to the Goa'uld as "growlers" (because of the deep voices) and Wraith as "Bozos" (because they look like clowns).

You mean the ones in berets and the grey digital camo? Those weren't Royal Marines, they were supposed to US Marines, or at least some sort of unspecified Marines. They never mentioned whose Marines they were specifically but given the lack of accent and the original contingent of US Marines, they were likely members of the USMC even though we don't wear berets in the Corps.

This is one of the SGA novels I'm talking about, the ones from Fandemonium Press.  The ones that were like three steps away from self published/vanity press fan-fiction.

It was definitely UK special forces of some kind that were on Atlantis.  Now I think about it, they might've been SAS.

50 minutes ago, The Creeping Spleen said:

This is one of the SGA novels I'm talking about, the ones from Fandemonium Press.  The ones that were like three steps away from self published/vanity press fan-fiction.

It was definitely UK special forces of some kind that were on Atlantis.  Now I think about it, they might've been SAS.

I'll take your word on it since I've never read any of the novels.

You're not missing out on much.  They were of vastly varying quality.

Of the ones I bought, "Halcyon" was the only one I kept after I had a major clear out.

It's notable for capturing the humour of SGA.  Particularly in a scene where Carson Beckett head butts a Wraith drone and immediately has a "what the hell did I just do?" moment. 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 11:22 AM, Riceball said:

You mean the ones in berets and the grey digital camo? Those weren't Royal Marines, they were supposed to US Marines, or at least some sort of unspecified Marines. They never mentioned whose Marines they were specifically but given the lack of accent and the original contingent of US Marines, they were likely members of the USMC even though we don't wear berets in the Corps.

actually, if you look closely, some of them are wearing UK flags on the show, maybe those are Royal Marines.

On 6/26/2019 at 11:30 AM, The Creeping Spleen said:

IIRC, they were introduced as an SAS SG Team in one of the SG-1 books, and the characters later made their way into the atlantis books.

On 6/26/2019 at 1:41 PM, The Creeping Spleen said:

You're not missing out on much.  They were of vastly varying quality.

Of the ones I bought, "Halcyon" was the only one I kept after I had a major clear out.

It's notable for capturing the humour of SGA.  Particularly in a scene where Carson Beckett head butts a Wraith drone and immediately has a "what the hell did I just do?" moment. 🙂

They definitely have improved in more recent books.  The early ones are basically fanfics, but since then the authors have gotten way better, especially the Atlantis Legacy books.  They're not Nebula award winners,  but the last few I've read have been at least on par with contemporary Star Trek or Star Wars novels.  They've gotten a lot better about researching the material.