Sign in to follow this  
Riceball

SGA - SGC- Offworld Starship Personnel Flight Suit Uniform discussion

As a note, genuine US issue flight suits (or commercial variants of US issue) are made from Nomex which is a fire resistant material. This may or may not be screen accurate but it would be more authentic since they would almost certainly be wearing flame resistant clothing aboard a starship, just like they do on surface ships and subs in real life. However, for comfort and/or cost you'll want to consider buying flightsuits made from cotton since I don't think that fires are much of a concern at most cons. Very few people will be able to tell the difference and even fewer will care.

• Like 1

I'm still researching what type of materials were used on the screen used flight suits, which is why I didn't put that specific information in the Guide at this time.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Honcho said:

I'm still researching what type of materials were used on the screen used flight suits, which is why I didn't put that specific information in the Guide at this time.

What you want to know Dan, they all are pretty much the same NOMEX / ARIMID cloth that will not support combustion but will char at 700-800*F, but you have SAGE and FREEDOM GREEN now to deal with color wise. Then we get to talk about the train wreck of the CWU-27 being replaced with the EAFFS/MEAFFS in 1999 until about 2002... Only Caldwell wore the MEAFFS, I hate them, but they are screen accurate for SGA costuming.

The Navy NA 13-1-6.7-2 covers all basic description as the following: https://www.public.navy.mil/airfor/srss/Documents/PUBS/13-1-6-7-2 (APR 07).pdf

3-5. GENERAL.3-6. Four types of Flyer’s Summer Coveralls presently authorized for use are CWU-27/P (Sage Green or Khaki), CWU-73/P, Enhanced Air Force Flight Suit (EAFFS), and Modified Enhanced Air Force Flight Suit (MEAFFS) (see Figure 3-1). These coveralls are designed to be worn as an outer garment in warm temperature zones and to provide protection in the event wearer is exposed to hazard of fire.

3-7. CONFIGURATION.3-8. The coveralls are one-piece, unlined garments fabricated from aramid cloth, which is a high temperature resistant, and inherently flame-retardant synthetic fabric which has no hot-melt point or drip characteristics. The lightweight fabric will not support combustion but will begin to char at 700_to 800_F.The fabric has abrasion resistance similar to nylon,and like nylon, aramid is nonabsorbent. Because of this characteristic, for optimum comfort, cotton underwear should be worn under the coveralls.3-9. Coveralls are supplied in sizes 32 Short to 52Long. Sizes and dimensions are listed in Table 3-1.3-10. See Table 3-2 for configurations of authorized summer coveralls and their av

13 hours ago, Riceball said:

As a note, genuine US issue flight suits (or commercial variants of US issue) are made from Nomex which is a fire resistant material. This may or may not be screen accurate but it would be more authentic since they would almost certainly be wearing flame resistant clothing aboard a starship, just like they do on surface ships and subs in real life. However, for comfort and/or cost you'll want to consider buying flightsuits made from cotton since I don't think that fires are much of a concern at most cons. Very few people will be able to tell the difference and even fewer will care.

I hate the knock offs... they look NOTHING like the real deal... Once you wear the real deal you just can never have anything else!

Edited by StitchsLoft
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Eric Voiers said:

I as well. the knock-offs are TERRIBLE. The Rothco M-65 Field Jackets look GOOFY from the camo pattern to the short pockets.

THE WORST! lol they make me cringe LOL

• Like 1

I know I'm late here, but It should be noted that they phased out the wing tab patches about half way through Season 9 of SG-1, probably because they new that they were going to start introducing new 304s soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaptHunt said:

I know I'm late here, but It should be noted that they phased out the wing tab patches about half way through Season 9 of SG-1, probably because they new that they were going to start introducing new 304s soon.

Or they just got bored with them ^^

Anyway, Indeed, they were not featured later