Sign in to follow this  
Eric Voiers

Be aware

Stargate lesson learned number 1- DO NOT go to any UPS/FED-EX or other copying stores and ask for anything like this to be downloaded and printed, they will choke and turn 3 shades of green and then tell you "Federal law prohibits us from printing ANYTHING that say's Air Force OR Top Secret"

IMG_0497.thumb.JPG.7db2e9133f95c1c1b480703a0689bc82.JPG 

That's good to know although I want to say that it's probably store specific. I imagine that if you explained it to the clerk that it's completely and there is no such thing as Stargate Command in real life they'll understand. This would be more so the further away you are from a military base. But if this indeed the case with a lot physical printing & copy stores, you could always do it online somewhere.

Actually I don't know of any "Federal Law" that prohibits using the name of any branch of the US Military or any words related to security clearances.   I think it is a misunderstanding of what is against the law and what is not.  

"Impersonating an Officer" Generally means impersonating a Law Enforcement Officer.  While in the Military, it would be when an Enlisted Personnel impersonates a Commissioned Officer.

Impersonation has more to do with intention, action and benefits.  So dressing as a Police officer or a member of the military by itself is not against the law, however even if you are in regular close it you try to pass yourself off as a Police Officer or member of the military to have another person believe that you are that which you are not, to get any sort of personal benefits including money, benefits, meals, services, products, discounts, special consideration, gain access to areas you would not normally have access too, etc...  Then you are impersonating a Law Enforcement Officer, or Military Personnel, or Government Employee.

Legal definition of Impersonation .jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Riceball said:

That's good to know although I want to say that it's probably store specific. I imagine that if you explained it to the clerk that it's completely and there is no such thing as Stargate Command in real life they'll understand. This would be more so the further away you are from a military base. But if this indeed the case with a lot physical printing & copy stores, you could always do it online somewhere.

I did, they said it did'nt matter because of the Air Force and Top Secret

Honcho is right. This works the same as "Stolen Valor". Many think someone walking around in a uniform that is not right or that someone knows is not real military is as such. I get a kick out this "Jump to conclusions" attitude. Stolen Valor? They have not stolen anything. NOW!!!! REAL Stolen Valor can be done by military personnel as well. S.V. is where you claim to have CERTAIN awards and medals to gain something. 

• Like 1

The actual "Stolen Valor  Act of 2005" federal law was struck down by the US Supreme Court in 2012:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Valor_Act_of_2013

The Stolen Valor Act of 2005, signed into law by President George W. Bush on December 20, 2006, was a U.S. law that broadened the provisions of previous U.S. law addressing the unauthorized wear, manufacture, or sale of any military decorations and medals. The law made it a federal misdemeanor to falsely represent oneself as having received any U.S. military decoration or medal. If convicted, defendants might have been imprisoned for up to six months, unless the decoration lied about is the Medal of Honor, in which case imprisonment could have been up to one year. In United States v. Alvarez the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on June 28, 2012, that the Stolen Valor Act was an unconstitutional abridgment of the freedom of speech under the First Amendment, striking down the law in a 6 to 3 decision.

The Stolen Valor Act of 2013 (Pub.L. 113–12; H.R. 258) is a United States federal law that was passed by the 113th United States Congress. The law amends the federal criminal code to make it a crime for a person to fraudulently claim having received a valor award specified in the Act, with the intention of obtaining money, property, or other tangible benefit by convincing another that he or she received the award.  The bill was signed into law by President Barack Obama on June 3, 2013.

It doesn't apply to cosplay here either since the intent is an impression of a loved character. Personally I get impressed with those that do it right and take the time to research proper placement of items.

NOW... If I or Riceball walk over to an ATV dealer that has a program to get a free 4-wheeler if we received the Medal of Honor and we claimed as such and get a 4 wheeler then YES, we are both GUILTY of Stolen Valor...Well, I WOULD BE if Riceball has one:)

• Like 1

Normally has to involve getting access to restricted area OR deals with getting money or perks of some kind... You avoid those two it shouldn't ever be an issue!

Someone asks... its just a costume and carry on!

• Like 1