Sign in to follow this  
Riceball

SG-BDU costume

As you all may or may not know, SG-1 was not known for wearing full BDUs at any time in the 10 years of the series, this was always reserved for background characters or other teams besides SG-1. However, I recently stumbled across some images showing O'Neill in full BDUs and wearing an old issue load bearing vest (LBV) instead of the usual black tac vest. I don't recall the episode these images came from so I don't know the context but he's definitely not wearing either an M65 or a WEP.

FullSize-sg10820-0128xe.jpg

FullSize-sg10820-0110xe.jpg

FullSize-sg10820-0204xe.jpg

Looks like Woodland Camo. BDU Tactical Shirt AND NOT the standard BDU 4 pocket uniform. I THINK this is the episode where Daniel goes to South America because a vault was found with ancient technology and Jack makes contact with an old operative buddy to help get ole' Daniel out of trouble.

Edited by Eric Voiers

1 hour ago, Eric Voiers said:

Looks like Woodland Camo. BDU Tactical Shirt AND NOT the standard BDU 4 pocket uniform. I THINK this is the episode where Daniel goes to South America because a vault was found with ancient technology and Jack makes contact with an old operative buddy to help get ole' Daniel out of trouble.

You're right, this looks like Season 7 Episode 12, Evolution Part 2

1 hour ago, Eric Voiers said:

You're right, it's not a standard issue BDU blouse but the 2 pocket shirt with epaulettes, good catch.

I used those old load bearing vests and I can tell you that practically they were TERRIBLE. The pockets were made to hold the 30 round M16 magazine and since it was contoured to the body getting them in and out was difficult. I much prefer the modular vest where you can add pouches

The LBVs were a bit after my time, they were being phased in towards the end of my time in. When I was in it was 782 gear, H harnesses (really a Y) and war belts; ALICE was still the lady of the ball, MOLLE hadn't been born yet. I did see two iterations of the LBV, one with the solid backing and then the later one where they replaced the solid backing with a mesh backing. It looks like O'Neill is wearing the second type with the mesh backing.

That MP5 is interesting as well! Totally NOT an offworld team weapon. The older SEF firing selector and not the

more modern ambidextrous model, wrong scope mount and doesn't have the AR-15 scope either. Interesting!

It is an interesting costume, isn't it? It would be pretty cheap and easy to do since everything off the shelf. The only problem is that lacks patches so it wouldn't be very recognizable as being a Stargate costume.

Just wanted to chime in and clarify that these photos are from Moebius Part 2. The non-standard uniform, lack of unit patches, and the variant MP5 (different scope, magazine, and lower receiver configuration) [actually this MP5 configuration was previously used by O'Neill earlier in the same season in the episode Gemini] can be attributed to this being the alternate realty version of O'Neill (where there was no Stargate Command). So technically not an SG unit uniform?

Edited by SG Merc
Add reference to earlier episode.
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, SG Merc said:

Just wanted to chime in and clarify that these photos are from Moebius Part 2. The non-standard uniform, lack of unit patches, and the variant MP5 (different scope, magazine, and lower receiver configuration) [actually this MP5 configuration was previously used by O'Neill earlier in the same season in the episode Gemini] can be attributed to this being the alternate realty version of O'Neill (where there was no Stargate Command). So technically not an SG unit uniform?

Yeah, definitely not an SG team uniform. Not a very good Stargate costume either, really. Without any patches it's not very recognizable as a Stargate costume.

17 minutes ago, Riceball said:

Yeah, definitely not an SG team uniform. Not a very good Stargate costume either, really. Without any patches it's not very recognizable as a Stargate costume.

Good point. It's a lot like the SF costumes in that it's easy to replicate from off the shelf pieces, but not distinctly Stargate.

• Like 2